Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Bust a move

I need to apologize so badly to my blog readers! I have failed miserably in keeping y'all informed on what is going on in my life. I think that sometimes I feel that unless I can write this amazing blog note, it is not worth writing. Sometimes you just gotta write something.
I will make a post later about this past weekend that will include picture. However, I will go ahead and give a brief synopsis. I traveled to Omaha by way of Des Moines this past weekend for a friend of Jen's wedding. The actual wedding/reception part was fairly miserable but it was a great experience. I want to give major major props to Jen's mom for providing a hotel room for me on Friday night. It was such a blessing!

This weekend made me think a lot about weddings and what I am desiring for that event to look like in my life. I think it is easy when you are on the outside of a wedding to be critical about how they are doing their wedding or their attitudes. I don't want to do that. I have been to several weddings lately and I have seen things that I like and things that I don't like but I definitely do not want to bag on anyone for having a "crappy" wedding.

That being said, the biggest thing I have realized lately is how messed up Christian weddings have become in our culture. There seems to be a huge disconnect between what we say about wanting to submit our lives to the Lord and do everything for His glory, etc. and the focus during a wedding. Really what I see is weddings that are more about the two people than about glorifying God and praising Him for His work. More importantly, we have missed the whole point of what a wedding is to represent. I found this amazing article online talking about Jewish wedding customs and how Jesus fulfilled that in His actions and speech. It is so cool to look back on some of the things He said and did and realize how much wedding imagery He was using. Here is the link. I don't necessarily agree with what they say about the end times but I think it is still really cool to see.
http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/rtg/rtg-rts/rtgrts02.txt

Weddings should be a picture of a) God's provision in bringing these two people together and b) a glorious picture of our union with God through Christ and the fulfillment of that union when Christ comes back to earth and builds His kingdom. The whole world eagerly longed and waited for the Messiah, for redemption as an engaged couple longs to be united. Through His death and resurrection, we become a part of the bride of Christ, the church. It is such a cool and beautiful picture. I long so badly to have this be apparent at my wedding and that it would not be about how cute we are as a couple but about the power and majesty of the Lord.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey check me out