Thursday, May 17, 2007

Let's take a trip to grandma's house

I decided my post tonight is going to be a little lighter than the usual fare. I've got a lot of thoughts and whatnot on my mind but I will wait to post those at a later date. Tonight, I would like to thrill all of you with a story of epic proportions. As I was house directing myself around Doulos on Monday night I received an interesting visit from none other than Jim Freeman. He proceeded to inform me that one of the Shelterwood girls had discovered lice in her hair. No big deal, I thought, she'll be treated and we can move on. I was told that I didn't need to do anything right now but just to be aware. I can definitely be aware. Sometime after dinner I was informed by my good friend Leah, who was also in the process of house directing, that more girls had been discovered with lice. This is not good, I told myself. I was than informed by the aforementioned Jim that searches would need to be conducted on the guys house. This is when things started getting "hairy"...

Act 2

I soon became trained in the art of lice-identifying. This is an ancient and secret skill known only to a small segment of society which includes hairdressers and school nurses. I was than able to take my skill into the guy's house where lice eggs in unending supply were also discovered in the men. The full-force of this epidemic soon became apparent when we realized that the best way to treat a louse outbreak is to a)coat your head in mayonnaise for 4 hours, b) rinse out said mayonnaise and wash your hair with dawn detergent for 10 minutes, c) have someone comb through your hair thoroughly and insure that every dead lice egg is removed, and d) wash all of your bedding and dirty clothes. Obviously, the problem arises when you have 28 plus people who need to go through this process. Needless to say, we were up until 2 AM cleaning up mayonnaise chunks and pulling dead nits out of hair. It has been interesting to see how God has used this event in different people's lives. I have attached some pictures. Enjoy!



Oh yeah! That moisture on my shirt is dripping mayonnaise, gotta love it!





Leah did an awesome job handling lice infested girls

3 comments:

kate said...

what does grandma's house have to do with it?!

you have the most random titles for your posts :-)

i'm glad you took all the extreme measures to ensure lice-ocide in all completion.
i can hug nick without worries now.

Erica Joy said...

way to go you guys! i heard all about it at small group last night, but appreciated the pictures to really get a vision for the scenario in my mind. :)

Tim said...

Grandma's house has everything to do with it. Don't you know the old saying, "If you're going to grandma's house be sure to put mayonnaise in your hair?"

Just think about it.